• Yeah, I forgot to mention that. The waist isn't terrible, but the ridge in conjunction with black lion's tail is a significant hindrance. KoB & SOC did it best, and in different ways to boot.

Optimal III   35 weeks 3 days ago
  • Sadly the ball jointed hips are what I categorize as a critical flaw at the MSRP price point. No way an 18" plastic robot will last the years with 5" plastic action figure type hips.

faelon   35 weeks 3 days ago
  • I could only think of 3 design flaws in the EX:
    1. The somewhat hindered neck rotation (the head would have to be oriented slightly upwards for side movements)
    2. The hindered waist swivel (due to the waist 'collar')
    3. The ball-jointed hip joints

other than that, Toynami did great with this iteration of Voltron... i personally feel that the KoB looks a bit uninspired, especially with the SoC out and available now. Somehow i get the feeling the KoB will lose out more than the EX because of how closely the SoC and KoB molds are in term of scale and looks (the KoB is not exactly a radical design departure from the SoC/Classic look, not as different as the EX in my opinion)

evanrue   35 weeks 3 days ago
  • Legacy Megazord

Oh boy it's that time again huh

SpaceRunaway   35 weeks 3 days ago
  • Yeah, the black KoB is too devoid of color. Toynami got it just right. (and you're probably in the clear, unless she starts dropping phrases like "no dental, no prints, no problem"; if that happens, she might be planning).

Optimal III   35 weeks 3 days ago
  • Give Toynami credit. They did amuch better job in designing the "Stealth" paint scheme than the KOB folks. I love how they nicely used the Lions primary colors as the trim colors. Sadly the Ex is too big for my display space and way too big for my wallet. Especially for apure plastic toy. And $1100? Gah! At that point I might as well just hand it to a divorce lawyer. ( ah who am I kidding. My wife would never divorce me. She'd simply kill me and hire a few rednecks to dispose of the body. Should I be worried that she knows rednecks willing to dispose of a body in exchange for first dibs on the robot collection?)

faelon   35 weeks 3 days ago
  • Highbrow

Clean your desk dude, the pictures look cluttered,

GalvatronG1   35 weeks 4 days ago
  • It's a wallet buster for sure. Almost my most expensive piece too.

At best, the all-plastic one you reference though is meh, so don't feel bad about missing it. It was cool at first, but the thrill quickly wore off for me.

Optimal III   35 weeks 4 days ago
  • $1100??? I don't think I could spend that on ANY toy. You have my respect. I still kind of regret passing up that all plastic Voltron set Toynami released a few years ago when it was on sale for 50 bucsk.

Heavyarms   35 weeks 4 days ago
  • Legacy Megazord

As the Transformers Titanium Series proved, metal parts do not magically improve a toy's quality. The Triceratops tail is metal? Whoop-de-smegging-doo, that doesn't actually improve anything. What would have improved things is retooling the tail so that the cannons were a separate piece like on the original toy so that they could be aimed. All a die-cast tail does is make it harder to kitbash that functionality in.

"The tank mode looks like it jumped straight out of the television and onto the park bench where I took these photos."
    No, no it doesn't, because you transformed it wrong. The shoulder armor is supposed to be open like it is for the battle mode.

ZeldaTheSwordsman   35 weeks 4 days ago
  • As I said in my old comment the DaiTenku seems to be a mix of a Pheonix/Ho'oh (based on the head and the long tail) and a heavy bomber like the B-29 or B-52 (hence the bulk and the tiger-head-as-bomb-chute)..

That said, it still kinda feels like a Tsubasamaru/Falconzord wannabe.

ZeldaTheSwordsman   35 weeks 4 days ago
  • Or did the beetle horn shapes ruin that effect for you?

ZeldaTheSwordsman   35 weeks 4 days ago
  • Kylo Ren

I didn't get this one because I didn't think i needed another Kylo Ren and wasn't sure I liked the pose, but I don't think I realized the hood came off. Maybe I'll pick it up now.

NekroDave   35 weeks 4 days ago
  • Highbrow

Hm... I'm going to have to agree with both of you. I'm pretty split on highbrow, but my feelings are definitely more on the positive side. The neck is annoying, sure but I can look past it. To me, the figure is not great, not terrible but just pretty good.

quinncat   35 weeks 5 days ago
  • Kylo Ren

That thing looks ridiculous, but honestly, I hope he busts it out in the next movie.

"So Rey, I see you have mastered the Force... But DARE you face the FIREBALL LAUNCHER OF THE FIRST ORDER?!"

Pimblebear   35 weeks 6 days ago
  • Highbrow

I despise Highbrow and hated him so much I returned him. I honestly think he's unacceptably bad. The stupid head wobble is my biggest issue, but I also hate his non-locking hands and rotors that can't fold. For me, Highbrow is one of the absolute worst TR figures released.

siningy   35 weeks 6 days ago
  • Highbrow

My only negatives are 1) the alt-mode has a fat butt, since the feet basically become the horizontal stabilizers. 2) he only has landing gear if you attach the two weapons to the wings, which sort of ruins the alt-mode's otherwise streamlined appearance.

Other than that I think it's a great figure and probably my favorite TR Deluxe so far.

Heavyarms   35 weeks 6 days ago
  • Highbrow

Any thoughts, positive or negative about this figure?

quinncat   35 weeks 6 days ago
  • Kondor Bleu

The gold foil really elevates this.

TimF   36 weeks 2 days ago
  • Nice what a beast.

TattooedRobot   36 weeks 2 days ago
  • Kondor Bleu

Great write up thank you. Your whole Machinder overview is so cool.

TattooedRobot   36 weeks 2 days ago
  • Alpha Trion

Scourge retool wouldn't be bad at all! Kind of like botcon devcon

quinncat   36 weeks 3 days ago
  • Chromedome

Yeah, those legends titan masters have so much paint too!

quinncat   36 weeks 3 days ago
  • Hardhead

The second picture of hardhead in robot mode should've been one of his titan master standing at his feet like in the blurr, chromedome, scourge and the upcoming highbrow reviews

quinncat   36 weeks 3 days ago
  • Chromedome

Agreed on the lackluster paint for the Titan Master. I was let down by that when the first wave's TR figures were actually painted.

IDW's More Than Meets the Eye is probably my favorite piece of TF fiction after Beast Wars and Transformers: Animated. I highly recommend it to anyone who says they may start reading it.

Heavyarms   36 weeks 4 days ago