• Man Rodi

My one complaint is that I think it looks too similar to the Mocks from Build Fighters... which wouldn't be too bad if the Mock wasn't a big shelfwarmer in my local comic book stores.

I'm interested to see how Bandai releases the Worker Rodi seen in the recent Dort arc. I could see it as an online exclusive but the color and equipment changes look extensive enough to warrant a full release.

atom smasher   41 min 22 sec ago
  • Have to agree as well, not to pile onto you. Probably a good idea to have a more neutral grey background for reviews especially in this case.

That all said I have this figure as well and love it. The Penelope is one of my favorite mobile suits and this piece doesn't disappoint. Can't wait for the upcoming Marking Plus Xi Gundam to replace the "old" one that came out a couple years ago.

delta7890   10 hours 56 min ago
  • Seconded, great review but hard to see.

Kmopotato   17 hours 59 min ago
  • Carry Can

People that know about Four Star probably know about Mr. Hard Hat. There is another combiner though called Racetron and I'm not sure they were made by Four Star because they like to slap their stamp somewhere on the box and usually on the toys as well. Racetron was released as a giftset and as individual bots. Several of the cars from the Transistor Robots line use those same molds (Rat Race for instance, is Chrysbot). There must be at least one other cheapo Chinese combiner that comprises the trucks from the Transistor Robots line. That is probably what that hole is on Carry-Can's back, and there is also a peg hole on the back hatch that you are missing that must be for a fist or foot. The fire engine definitely has some sort of shoulder or thigh peg that is exposed when the cab is folded and the rear that becomes the legs seems to have a slot where a fist or foot would attach.

Four Star, I'm assuming was the second to use these molds, because they don't have any complete combiners aside from Mr. Hard Hat and they omit all kibble and all mentions of any larger robot form from the packaging (also the Racetrons at least had weapons packed in). But beyond that, trying to put together any information as to who made what and what came first has proven difficult.

Thor Laserpunch   18 hours 5 min ago
  • No Stan Bush? Not buying it.

Seriously, how can this album come without "TIL ALL ARE ONE?"

Maybe they should do the James Roberts' Soundtrack collection for MTMTE. he always talks about which songs dictate each issue.

Rob   18 hours 28 min ago
  • Man Rodi

Keroro Gunsou loved Gundam so much that he became a Mobile Suit.

VF5SS   19 hours 26 min ago
  • The Penelope is one of my favorite big dumb Gundam designs. I'd love to own this, but man its price is a bit rich for me. Hopefully I'll be able to get one down the line though.

Dkun   20 hours 9 min ago
  • Great article and video. You covered every detail I can think of, and found some I didn't (I hadn't realized she had a visible seat in car mode, for example). Great posing, too.

I like the comparison with Alternators Rodimus; it really shows how un-Transformers-ish her design and mechanism is (although, did you find it weird that her instructions looked almost exactly like Transformers instructions from around 2012?). I like to put mine next to Alternators Windcharger (Overdrive) and Human Alliance Jazz, because their vehicle modes are so similar to the Miku BMW in size and shape (although HA usually scales to ~1:27). I used to marvel at how HA Jazz could unfold such a large robot from such a tiny car, but he has nothing on this.

My main gripe - apart from the delicate paint and weak balljoints that you mentioned - is that I feel Kawamori's design makes an awesome transforming robot but a mediocre Miku at best. The only things about it that says "Miku" to me (apart from the graphics, of course) are the awkward, parts-forming twin-tails and the slender, mile-long legs. Maybe the helmet is influencing me more than it should, but the robot reminds me more of EX-Gear from Frontier. And a female friend immediately noticed the huge car-bosom, complete with headlights; that is a very un-Miku part of the silhouette! (As a Transformer fan, I'm used to seeing jutting car hoods on "male" robots and didn't make that association right away.)

Anyhow, I prefer to think of GearTribe Miku as a (possibly un-gendered) transforming car companion for Miku, rather than a representation of the idol herself. It's a weird, sometimes flawed product from a company that makes beautiful figures but clearly hasn't done transforming mecha before, but that's exactly what I expected it to be, and it didn't come out nearly as badly as I feared it might. Since you are a master of all toys Kawamori, I really appreciated getting your take on it. Thank you!

Corduroy Bear   20 hours 17 min ago
  • Bulldozer
    A+

That is a fantastic answer. Thank you.

Corduroy Bear   20 hours 38 min ago
  • I *really* think you should have taken these photos against some other background than white.

Tetsuryu   21 hours 54 min ago
  • I know I went with Hasbro's version of Superion and Defensor but with the limited distribution in my area making finding them next to improbable and the new mold plus the alterations included, I've got no problem waiting for Takara's Bruticus.

Rob   22 hours 2 min ago
  • Stunning figure, it's only a matter of time (looong time) before we'll see a Gunpla of this one.

Amazing review! Well done!

Rob   22 hours 5 min ago
  • Motormaster

If you loosen the screw on the hips, they should move better.

VF5SS   1 day 31 min ago
  • Motormaster

My Menasor is from the UW boxset and I'm very afraid of breaking his hip joints since they are so tight and whatnot. I have to apply some force in order to get them move sideways. Is this a common problem?

Aquarion Zodia   1 day 1 hour ago
  • Taskmaster

I love Taskmaster, but I'm not feeling it from this guy. They got too many little details wrong. The lack of Cape is huge. Also the missing weapons and similar detailings ie scabard, belt holster, bow, etc. And most of all the heads both bother me. I finally figured out what it is. It's the eyes. One of the subtle but defining things about the character is he has distinctly red pupils (not red eyes, just red pupils). These are especially prominent in his classic skull mask.

faelon   1 day 14 hours ago
  • Batman

...I never noticed it, but now that you point it out, you right.

Optimal III   1 day 15 hours ago
  • Batman

DCUC is the pinnacle this was leading up to, and I'm looking forward to getting more of them, like the Batman you mentioned.

Optimal III   1 day 15 hours ago
  • Batman

The head sculpt looks like they predicted Batfleck 10 years ahead of time.

faelon   1 day 15 hours ago
  • Broooooticuuusss!!! Stealth Bruticus might actually work. Maybe TT should milk the TF Unite line like Yamato did with Macross. :)

Germanicus   1 day 15 hours ago
  • Bulldozer

Because the raccoon skull was too big ;)

Ender10000   1 day 17 hours ago
  • Batman
    Hrm

So he comes with a bat-grapple, but can't hold it? It's nice that he can hold one of his accessories. I preferred the DC Universe Classics version released a year or two later.

Jetman Purple   1 day 19 hours ago
  • Metal Gear Rex

Yeah, I started reading the review and thought "Hey, neat little figure! and it's only four inches? I wonder what the price is...NOPE." That's crazy.

Heavyarms   1 day 19 hours ago
  • Bulldozer

I love your photo backgrounds, but I have to ask - armadillo skull why?

Corduroy Bear   1 day 22 hours ago
  • Bulldozer

Damn, I wish I could get both. Looking forward to your final combined reviews, since it seems you're the only person on the internet covering them in detail.

Kmopotato   2 days 1 hour ago
  • Bulldozer

I am getting both, yeah. Devasator and the Constructicons have been my favorite characters since I was kid. I figure if I get both, I won't have to pick between combined and team mode. I honestly think I like versions about the same. I guess I like generation toys alt modes better and Toyworlds robot modes better so far.

Ender10000   2 days 3 hours ago