• The Crow

The Crow means a lot to me, too, so I want this one (as well as most of the others in the line, for that matter). WARNING: Boring personal stuff ahead! LOL Anyway, I'm the youngest of 3 brothers so when I was growing up, most of the stuff that I was introduced to, I found out from my older brothers. They had the most influence on me. But when I was about 12ish, a friend of one of my brothers started to introduce me to all sorts of stuff I had never heard of before, particularly in the areas of music , books, and comics. The dude became sort of a mentor for me and we really hit it off (years later, my brother would confess to me that he was actually jealous of this). Anyway, among the things he told me about was indie comics and I remember actually being with him in the comic shop the day I first bought Calibur Comics #1 (the Crow's first appearance) and iirc, Crow #1 at the same time. We both became big fans and I used to annoy the hell out of the poor guy who worked at the New England Comics in Quincy, asking him every Friday if the new Crow was out. Issue 4 in particular took forever to be released and when it was, he was like "Here's your damn Crow!". LOL. Eventually he was forced to move away but we kept in contact via writing words on pieces of paper and sending them to each other in the mail. (These were called "letters" for you younger folks. LOL) The very last letter I got from him (and still have) actually mentions how he lost his Crow comics but heard about how issue 5 was finally coming out in a different format from a different company. I don't know if he ever got to read it though because the next time I saw him, it was on the news after he committed suicide in a prison cell after being arrested for the murder of his girlfriend. I have no idea what lead to that but unfortunately, he came from a pretty messed up background and I don't think anyone who knew him was surprised his life ended early and under bad circumstances. But he still had a huge impact on me and is someone I miss to this day. So I still think of him whenever I think of the Crow.

NekroDave   2 hours 18 min ago
  • Sort of like the second "G" in "garage". I've seen it written out as "dzh".

RobotBastard   5 hours 9 min ago
  • Big Dai X

What is your opinion of it F-ZeroOne?

Mark M   7 hours 33 min ago
  • Big Dai X

Very disappointing piece. It looks nice enough at a glance and it is awesome that a new Dai X has been released but it really is not a piece I would as much as I love Star Fleet X Bomber. For the price I would expect this to be much larger with better features.
    If anything maybe this will inspire Bandai or another company to finally do Big Dai X justice.

Mark M   7 hours 35 min ago
  • I wonder if the core fighter is actually integrated into the Gundam rather than being a separate piece like a lot of other HG's.

Autobot Alex   11 hours 23 min ago
  • So the Side A/Side B thing is I am limited by file size. I can't have files larger than 100 MB on CDX. So that means if the show goes over a certain length I either have to cut it in half or make the audio quality really garbage by compressing it to death. We've been talking a lot lately. OOPS.

Also re: pronunciation, when I took Japanese in college they did say it was a very slightly "z" noise but really less like a "z "and more like a sort of weakly enunciated "j". ANYWAY Zyuranger makes Americans want to call it "zooranger" which is totally wrong. Though if we're making sense, we should just call it Beastranger.

Destroy All Pod...   15 hours 35 min ago
  • Arcee

She looks just perfect, in my opinion! Gonna have to get this one.

RobertG22   16 hours 37 min ago
  • The Crow

The accessory is the weathervane that Eric fights the crime boss with at the end of the film because (as I'm sure you know, but I want to bitch) they couldn't leave the fantastic story of unrelenting vengeance alone when the comic was adapted, and instead introduced a typical movie bad guy with the ability to make the hero vulnerable for a yawnworthy final battle.

Corduroy Bear   19 hours 3 min ago
  • Aside from USA's "Night Flight" (the sort of pre-Adult Swim of it's day I suppose you could say), Dynaman somehow found it's way to Nickelodeon during it's weekend "Special Delivery" block once.

Chris@StudioToledo   23 hours 50 min ago
  • "Hi!

Glad you liked our discussion! Yeah, I am huge MST3K dork and excited for the upcoming Rifftrax Live for Anaconda. I totally think KTMA is underrated.

Me too. These guys were just starting out, the rules hadn't been set in stone, let alone nailed down like those sets. It has that sort of slightly bewildered quality of very young people just figuring out this concept in criticizing a film in the only way they knew best.

"Haha! You should probably romanize it as Jyuranger, not Jewranger!

Mr. Haim Saban wouldn't like that one bit!

I can see why they changed it. Of course when I learned Japanese once in college, we had to pronounce that sound with a "Z" somewhat.

P.S. Whoops! I accidentally hit publish on a future podcast I was in the middle of preparing. Everything should be correct on it when it's actually published. My bad!

I was going to say something over why you've been doing these Side A/B splits in the reviews lately, but I suppose I don't need to know the answer.

Chris@StudioToledo   23 hours 51 min ago
  • I watched this show when I was a kid and liked it. While I doubt I will ever get this, I am far more interested in it than, say, any Sailor Moon Figuarts.

MadDemon64   1 day 3 hours ago
  • Ugh, so instead of being rewarded with a new accessory pack (that might've included the ax, scrander, alternative battle damage head and mechanical horse) for those who bought the first edition, we'r getting a reissue of the same figure with a single new accessory.

I get that there are a lot of people who missed out on the first edition, but a robot like Mazinkaiser SKL deserves more accessories, especially since he had so many to use during his short 3-episode OVA run.

Mazinkaizer   1 day 5 hours ago
  • So now that this is shown after Max Factory showed their prototype for their figma Sakura, maybe the reverse will happen and MF will announce a figma of Honoka froM Love Live since a S.H. Figuart (which looks like crap) was shown of that.

VZMK2   1 day 7 hours ago
  • I loved this episode! I am a big fan of Power Rangers/Sentai and hearing about this gem from the pre-PR era was great. I actually watched a random episode of Jetman I found on Youtube. It was pretty good, the team fought shadow versions of themselves. The next episode preview showed a caveman episode or some such, which would probably have been a lot of fun to watch too.

I bought a bootleg DVD of the USA Network Dynaman a few years ago. It struck me as being more weird than funny, but I have to admit hearing Huey Lewis & The News and Robert Palmer over fight scenes was delightful. May have to watch them again to pay more attention to the jokes which would never be told today.

If you are looking to watch some newer Power Rangers stuff, I'd recommend Time Force. Most fans rank it near the top, and it has some really interesting characters and storylines. Another bonus is this series was the last to mainly use models and suits instead of CG, so it looks great.

I was surprised you all left Beetleborgs out of your discussion of VR Troopers, etc. It came around a bit later than the initial PR craze but I think it was pretty good. The heroes were younger than in PR, and there were lots more goofy elements, but it had a "comic books come to life" theme that really worked. I am curious to watch some of the B-Fighter stuff it was based on, as I am sure it is quite different.

Anyway, thanks for the great episode, let's hear about some more sentai stuff soon!

djinniman37   1 day 8 hours ago
  • Hi!

Haha! You should probably romanize it as Jyuranger, not Jewranger! Zyuranger is based on weird old outdated romanization that nobody really uses much anymore because it doesn't really convey what it actually sounds like.

Destroy All Pod...   1 day 16 hours ago
  • HG Godzilla 2014

Thanks! I shot those in complete darkness with a color-changing pumpkin light suspended overhead. It was a real pain timing the iPhone's shutter right because once the light changed into that deep beautiful red, the focus would go crazy. Michael Bay was right, cameras don't like red.

The goal of these pics was to just mess around and see what scenes I could recreate. I ended up busting out my old military micro machines for a couple shots as prop pieces. Eventually the shots snowballed into a mini retelling the film itself and the battles. There's even a little air tower control for the Hawaii battle and a nuke the Mutos steal from the army.

Since I kept taking these shots over and over to capture the color-changing light at the right color, most of these are the results of happy accidents. This includes shots like the out of focus atomic breath impact shots and the shot of Godzilla's shadow as he arrives to face the Mutos. My favorite pics are the atomic breath photos and the pic of the tanks lined up to fire on FemMuto, her body emerging from the deep red background as if it were a thick fog.

If you want to see higher res versions of those shots, they are available on my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/121911972@N04/sets/72157648832696151/

This was my first review so I wanted to be very thorough and cover everything one could possible ask about. In the mess of it all, I forgot to tell just how tall these things are. :P I am trying to make my next reviews more streamlined. I have more large reviews planned, which cover entire waves or assortments of toys only because from these lines, the figures in each assortment interact/combine with one another and have to be reviewed all in one shot for it all to make sense. Luckily, I have smaller reviews as well in the pipeline.

Also, if you really want to get lost in awesome toy photos, I suggest checking out Ed Speir IV on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/25335276@N02/14035402768/in/faves-truth_and_reconciliation/

He can make even the crappiest of toys look amazing.

netkid   1 day 17 hours ago
  • Wow, I didn't realize how much better this figure would look with chrome parts. The other paint apps are meh, but that sword though.....

Scarfang_The_Slayer   1 day 19 hours ago
  • Without a doubt this is definitely one of the weirdest ones I own. I wouldn't be surprised if they did release one in Voltron colours. (Oh Mr. Random Chinese bootlegger, are you reading this?)

Scarfang_The_Slayer   1 day 19 hours ago
  • HG Godzilla 2014

Great review, very thorough and informative. Love the pics at the end!

Gazbot   1 day 19 hours ago
  • New Vinyl from Marmit

Zeron, or at least the costume, made an appearance in another show before Spectreman. Back in the late 60's/ early 70's a company known as "P Productions" created a short teaser for a show called "Jaguarman" which later became "Tiger7." As far s I know, that was the first TRUE appearance of the costume. The costume made a second appearance in the Spectreman pilot/teaser known as "Choujin Elementman." Unfortunately this was removed from youtube. The third appearance of the suit was in the regular Spectreman show that (most of us) know and love. I don't know if the suit was ever used again or chopped up to create someone else. If anyone has any further info or if my info if wrong please let me know. In the meantime I'll treat whoever is reading this to a rare gem. Also note that Zeron sounds like Varan/Baragon.

Scarfang_The_Slayer   1 day 19 hours ago
  • Funny timing for me, I just discovered and brought a loose one. Seems to be the same toy but mine has voltron shields stickers on the wings rather than the nasa.

Demonseed   1 day 20 hours ago
  • HG Godzilla 2014

Can you please add in the missing image (#9) under the Paperwork section. It's of the toy brochure's front. Thanks!

Paperwork

As with any capsule toy these days, a mini-brochure is included, detailing the assortment's figures in beautiful high quality colored pictures. Here we see one side, showcasing the 4 figures in this assortment.

IMAGE 9

netkid   1 day 20 hours ago
  • Megatron

Sorry, its fixed now, picture wasnt there. oops

chachipower   1 day 21 hours ago
  • I love it when prize toys are scaled to fit nicely with posable toys from other lines.

recognizer   1 day 22 hours ago
  • Wow, replacing the hands and feet with lion heads really takes this from "lame random head-swap bootleg" to "extremely weird and fascinating bootleg". I wonder if they ever popped one out in more Voltron-ish colors...

recognizer   1 day 22 hours ago