• I hope that Bandai's non-Gunpla is all this nice, because I am rolling the dice on their new VF-1S. I studied Veef's written and video reviews... and decided to go for it anyways, mainly because I've been so impressed with recent Gunpla.

And not to get too personal, but I want to thank you specifically, Rob. I got back into Gunpla this winter, inspired largely by your reviews like the RX-78-2 v3.0. I have been building exclusively real-world military models for years, but I moved someplace with an unheated workshop and couldn't do anything that needed my airbrush or serious tools in the cold months. I hadn't built any Gunpla since back when Wing kits were in Toys 'R' Us, but it seemed like just the thing for a stress-free coffee table build (obviously not talking about taking it to the level you do).

I picked up a RG RX-78-2 and - holy cow - Bandai's engineering on the RG kits puts everything I knew from folks like Dragon and Tamiya to shame. Those things are incredibly precise and fun to build, and I'm still pretty happy with the result even when I don't paint much. I've been devouring kits about one a month and loving it... again, thanks to you.

Corduroy Bear   47 min 51 sec ago
  • Thanks for the extra insight and opinion on the design. I do see the resemblance.

To answer your question, I did put on a Semi-Gloss topcoat on it when I was finished.

I think Bandai's really done some nice work outside of the Gunpla fare with the UC Hardgraph kits and especially the Yamato.

I'm sorry I should have mentioned this in my review, but the model comes with an English brochure advertising the Yamato model collection, complete with a fold out of the battleship talking about its parts separation.

Rob   2 hours 8 min ago
  • Fantastic job! I couldn't believe from the first few shots that you left parts of this unpainted - it has such a realistic finish. Maybe that's a topcoat? At any rate, it looks amazing, and all of the detail painting and other touches really show. If Bandai did a nice job making a jet instead of their usual robot fare, I'd say that goes double for you.

Funny thing for me was that the first aircraft I thought of on seeing this was the Douglas Skyray. I think it's the canopy profile. Whatever the specific inspiration, the way the new designs mix the 50s- and 60s- era look of the originals with details that are straight from 5th-gen fighters is really cool (yeah, I know the show was in the 70s, but its fighters looked sorta dated even then). It's a weird look, but I dig it.

Corduroy Bear   3 hours 9 min ago
  • True. The mistakes that Bandai is making with these is leaving plenty of room for the 3rd party companies to release pieces to correct the mistakes that were made. One company made that flowing hair piece for Virgo Shaka, which should have totally been included with the EX Shaka release to begin with.

SentaiSeiya   6 hours 49 min ago
  • This looks better than the suit on the show did!

Gazbot   7 hours 27 min ago
  • This is one of many Japanese characters that I started out thinking, "that is ugly as crap", but, over time began to love the difference from other characters and brashness of design choices. Anyway now I think he looks awesome and I want him, I hope Blue fin brings it over otherwise it will be a 100.00 figure :(

Gazbot   7 hours 27 min ago
  • Gokai Spear

That's brilliant! Why didn't I think of that!?

Jmann   7 hours 49 min ago
  • If only his hair wasn't as brightly colored as King Endymion's suit. It makes it noticeably less accurate to the anime. I really hate Bandai's liberties with Cloth designs.

RobertG22   8 hours 19 min ago
  • Torabolt

Whenever I looked at the pictures of the cat mode, I thought he looked grumpy, then I realized that he has a sword up his butt. Now it makes sense for him to be grumpy.

Slyder5597   8 hours 19 min ago
  • "I'll just put the Guiltice next to my Robot Damashii Nirvash Type Zero and my Super Robot Chogokin Solar Aquarion for the sake of comparison with other Bandai toys. "

In my mind, they're all pointing at each other and shouting.

recognizer   8 hours 41 min ago
  • Did someone say Eraser???

recognizer   8 hours 46 min ago
  • Gokai Spear

And that imagination sentai can have a robot that gets an erection.

Slyder5597   10 hours 54 min ago
  • Guntank

Thanks everyone,

This has always been one of my favorite designs and it was great to know the original kit held up very well.

One of these days I will get my hands on the MG version….

Currently in the works is the Zaku Tank!

Thank you!

LF

Modcineaste   12 hours 23 min ago
  • Guntank

If it makes you feel better, the Guntank (or some early variant) will be in the first Gundam the Origin movie. Unfortunately they thought it'd be a "brilliant" idea to have it be in cel shaded 3DGC. UGH!

VZMK2   14 hours 21 min ago
  • The "UC Color Version" is a surprise, but not. Sunrise has been throwing a lot more suits into the OAV of "UC" as they can.

It'll be a matter of time before we see it recolored and retooled into the C1 (Sentinel version) or A1 (Amuro's Karaba colors).

Either way, it's a great MS design along with the other new Gunpla announcements.

Rob   14 hours 50 min ago
  • Solid Snake

Really great detailed review on this guy. Made me interested in a toy/character I would otherwise care nothing about.

Gazbot   21 hours 47 min ago
  • This angers me, I got the MP2 Masterpiece years ago expecting a cab set add on. Then I expected a third party would get on it. Never happened, now this release...I want the character, but I think I'm too angry to pay for it.

Gazbot   21 hours 49 min ago
  • Oh BBTS is notoriously on high preorders. Hopefully Joel gets that down a little lot's of TFs online retailers out there now. Check out the mark up on Ultimetal Optimus you can save $200 bucks just by going to Goodshipped.

TattooedRobot   1 day 1 hour ago
  • Varidorin

Nice little version of this ship, but WOW, compare to your long ago (2002) review of the huge Banpresto diecast.

Underrated toy, that could be had on clearance for quite a while.

repairtechjon   1 day 1 hour ago
  • He was posting about BBTS's original high preorder price which was put up almost a year ago lol

VF5SS   1 day 4 hours ago
  • 20,000 Yen is only $200. This is almost a definite Hasbro release a few years down the road too but probably still $200.

TattooedRobot   1 day 4 hours ago
  • Solid Snake

That backwards Stinger ALWAYS bugged me. I think I chucked the missile because bleh. I wanted to love this figure so much, but the funky angles everything is sculpted at, like you said, it's basically a statue that they decided to cut up and add articulation to. All of those figures were pretty cool, I liked Psycho Mantis and Revolver Ocelot a lot, but they are far less articulated than Snake. The Ninja is probably the best of the bunch though, it's just a cool looking figure.

IIRC that time bomb is supposed to be the "timer bomb." SPOILER ALERT: after Snake is captured by Revolver Ocelot and is tortured, you can escape and recover your weapons. Ocelot places the time bomb amongst Snake's gear and you have to equip it and throw it away before it explodes and kills you.

Heavyarms   1 day 9 hours ago
  • Guntank

It's always great to see your work and how you approach it Leo! The Guntank is such an underrated (by modern MS designs) classic.

Great model! Great review!

Rob   1 day 12 hours ago
  • Guntank

Excellent work there!

VZMK2   1 day 17 hours ago
  • Cravex

All the Darkling Lords have beards. Speaking of beards I must update my profile pic on here.

Mark M   1 day 19 hours ago