• I'm so glad I pre-ordered the Takara version of Superion. For one, I didn't feel like dealing with all the hassle of getting an appropriate Slingshot, what with Hasbro's "online exclusive" mess. And the Takara deco looks so much better. I'm glad the rest of the combiners didn't turn out this well (Menasor!!) because I'd have spent a lot of money on the rest of the combiners. re: Sky Dive, I think he's supposed to resemble an F-18 more than an Su-27, since the vertical stabilizers are mounted over the engines instead of to the side. The way I look at it, Fireflight and Slingshot resemble an F-4 and Harrier, sharing design elements of both. Sky Dive looks like an F-18/F-16 hybrid, and Air Raid is more of an F-15/F-14 hybrid. That way they can have some visual cues from the original toys, but be different enough to avoid licensing issues. I was disappointed that Fireflight didn't look more like an F-4 (my favorite fighter jet of all time), but after getting this set in hand, I ran right out and bought a Hasbro Fireflight so I could fiddle around with him without making Superion go armless.

Heavyarms   2 hours 37 min ago
  • So that's why I couldn't place any of the music, ha!
    I was listening to the wrong OST the whole time.

VIR   3 hours 42 min ago
  • While I can't claim to be a much of Galaxy Express or Herlock fan (due to opportunities to watch rather than taste), I do love the SoC line of ships so when I saw the Arcadia up for auction on Ebay, I decided to go for it. The box was slightly damaged, so I ended up getting this for <$200 including shipping, which is a huge bargain in my thinking.

Anyway, once I got it out of the box, I couldn't have been more pleased. The review is spot on in terms of heft and detail. My only complaints are that the length makes it difficult to position on the shelf. The Jolly Roger located at the stern of the boat adds another two-ish inches to the length. Also, when assembling be sure the bottom antenna is securely in place. It is precariously positioned behind the rear pillar of the stand (also putting it at risk for bending), so it comes off easily when you remove or replace it unless securely locked in.

This is relatively minor stuff, though, so if you're of fan of Matsumoto, Galaxy Express, Captain Herlock or just generally love bad ass replicas of spacecraft, then I highly advise you pick this up.

Does anyone know how this ship compares in terms of size and scale to the other Arcadia replicas such as those produced by Aoshima, Taito, or in Leiji's Space Battle Ship Collection?

qmendoza   7 hours 44 min ago
  • The music that this toy plays is all from the first Galaxy Express movie. I was kind of disappointed with that really, I much preferred the cues from SSX - although they were composed by Shunsuke Kikuchi and I'd imagine there was some problems with licensing the music of a big name composer like him.

Tetsuryu   11 hours 33 min ago
  • Yeah, I was aware of the easter eggs and indirect references to other shows in the Leiji-verse, sure, but as far as direct references go I'm unaware.

Still, thanks for that, both of you.

VIR   1 day 3 hours ago
  • Spoons

The "Looking For ..." Box on this article is priceless. "looking for SPOONS?"

faelon   1 day 4 hours ago
  • This! The Leiji'verse is a strange place that more or less co exists and crosses over itself in ways that often seemingly run counter to the primary narratives. There are indications of some connection between Galaxy Express 999's Maetel and Harlock's Emereldas. The gun Matel gives Tetsuro is one of the Creations of Tochiro, the builder of Harlock's Arcadia. Etc. there are even some scenes in the GE999 Manga that show the Arcadia, Yamato and Andromeda in port side by side while the GE999 flies by. Harlock's and GE999 are more solid than the usual cameos as he and Emereldas play major roles in the GE999 movies.

faelon   1 day 4 hours ago
  • "While I’m almost positive Galaxy Express 999 has nothing to do with Harlock"

You would be surprised just how many crossovers between Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999 there are.

The Galaxy Express movies would be a good starting point. In fact, I think that's where this ship makes it's animated debut.

Tetsuryu   1 day 10 hours ago
  • Spoons

I recently acquired one of these. The only trouble I have is pushing the arms up and down while transforming him. When I first got him I had to look up the instructions because I thought the arms were put on upside down. That's just how hard they are to move. I guess it's better to have joints too tight than too loose. Also, I think it's really cool that their is something unconventional like a forklift Transformer among all of the cars, trucks, tanks, and aircraft. Though for me, the only thing about Gobots is that I have to get used to how a lot of their heads look. Other than that, I love them!

Scarfang_The_Slayer   2 days 4 hours ago
  • Unicorn Gundam

Love Assault Kingdom! I still haven't been able to catch the first wave.

Anyway, great idea! Lookin' forward to the rest of the reviews!

Alexx   2 days 5 hours ago
  • AT-ST

Arrrugh aarrrrrrgghhhh!

"Translation: Thanks, Yub yub."

Rob   2 days 8 hours ago
  • Thanks! Though not to surround myself with the ONI propaganda, "Spartans Never Break" I did have some issues with this model from my own carelessness.
    Before my final strip-down of the model for its topcoat, I left it on my desk alone for an hour and my cat knocked the chest piece and helmet to the floor and I accidentally crushed them under my desk chair.

You see the picture of the helmet resting on the chest armor; that was my replacement set. So now I have portions of a Level 2 Master Chief to cannibalize spare parts from if I ever break anything else.
    On the plus side, I now have a spare Assault Rifle for my Commander Palmer model (yes, build in progress).

As far as the McFarlane series, I've noticed they've gotten better. Their Halo 3 series are still junk, and I'll never forgive them for the the ODST figure that crumbled in my hand within seconds of opening the package. I got their "Cryo-Pod" Master Chief from their Halo 4 preview line and it's actually a nice figure. Very "Revoltech" inspired joint design but still a little stiff. The detailing is nice but their paint applications are a little too much.

With them making Halo 5's Spartan Locke, I'm hoping Bandai will release more models; my personal wish list includes Buck (ODST or Spartan IV), and the Mk V Master Chief from the first game.

Rob   2 days 8 hours ago
  • Funny. Yesterday when i saw the review for the diecast one I thought it'd be nice if there was one in scale for figma. Well there you go.

VZMK2   2 days 9 hours ago
  • Mechatro WeGo

I'm in love! Who wants to come to the wedding? My wife should be okay with it. She's pretty used to me adding more toys to the marriage.

Alexx   2 days 20 hours ago
  • All of your builds always come out so clean and effortless looking, I'm always impressed looking at the result of your effort.
    I too have been really irritated by the lack of a good affordable Master Chief figure. McFarlane Toys was really the poorest choice in manufacturer. I guess at least their paint was always nice looking. what I wanted was a more Figuarts approach with a sharp sculpt and good poseability that bandai is know for, and with a little effort on the user end you get the best of both worlds. I definitely want to get my hands on one of these!
    Eagerly looking forward to your next review!

Astronopolis   3 days 2 hours ago
  • AT-ST

Impressive job on that Chewie! You made him look fantastic.

japester   3 days 5 hours ago
  • I don't have the Shin Getter, but the hips seem fine to me, they might loosen over time, but by end of the review and posing him they were still plenty tight I can pick him up and jiggle him they don't move.

Gazbot   4 days 37 sec ago
  • haha. good.

Gazbot   4 days 2 min ago
  • *bows*

Gazbot   4 days 2 min ago
  • Gouf R35

I certainly respect what they did with this MS, but I gotta stay with the Dom R35 from "BFT". =D

EVA_Unit_4A   4 days 1 hour ago
  • PRINCESSSSSSSSSS

stubbietubbie   4 days 7 hours ago
  • Something's fishy with these price hikes lately. I think it has to do with the tax increase that's going to take effect in Japan this October.

VZMK2   4 days 12 hours ago
  • You know what'd be insane but cool, if they decided to make a toy of (obviously not to scale) of the transforming dragon/ship from Dancougar.

VZMK2   4 days 12 hours ago
  • I've never seen much Ultraman, but I have a major soft spot for vehicles like this one and the GUTS machines. It's just gorgeous.

It occurs to me that it might be even bigger than the model that they used to make the show...

Inverarity   5 days 6 hours ago