• You can't look on the Drill Pressure Missiles and not automatically mentally name them "titty twister missiles" you just can't not do it.

faelon   15 hours 13 min ago
  • Heroes of Cybertron

These are actually giant sized versions of the little PVC Heroes Of Cybertron/Super Collection Figure (SCF) blind box toys.

VF5SS   3 days 23 hours ago
  • For some reason everytime I look at this guy I end up wishing Bandai would make an Escaflowne. Just something about it reminds me of the other mecha. It's a great mech, provided you have a high tolerance for razor sharp spiky wings all over the place.

faelon   5 days 18 hours ago
  • This little lady remains one of my all time favorites, and it's hard to explain why. This is one of those figures that just pops in the hand or on the shelf. The colors. The design. It grabs the eyes and attention. And it's a fun figure to mess with if you can avoid bloodletting. I do recommend investing in a stand for her, just because she is a figure that really does look better in posed flight.

faelon   5 days 19 hours ago
  • Might Gaine

This figure remains one of the quietly unsung masterpieces of the SRC line. You can still find him fairly affordable today. And he is pretty much perfection in every way. Suffering only because he is not that well known in the west. No flaws or negatives whatsoever.

faelon   5 days 19 hours ago
  • The gray helmet and green face give me a G1 Needlenose vibe.

Tetsuryu   1 week 8 hours ago
  • Great- thanks for that info! I was about to pull the trigger on an eBay listing and now I will for sure wait on that re issue! Nice extras awaiting more than likely.

Grandzinga   1 week 1 day ago
  • Ratchet

I've seen a few people complain about QC issues, so it's nice to see one that's got none. I'm not sure if I like MP Ironhide or Animus more, but you're right in that he's a satisfying figure to handle. So I'm looking forward to ordering Ratchet next weekend with either UW Bruticus or Victorion.

Optimal III   1 week 2 days ago
  • I agree that he isn't the worst. He's just incredibly disappointing. He looks fantastic, but the limited articulation destroyed it in my opinion.

And yes, those rings I removed are for filling in the shoulder joints and torso. Almost every SHF has them, but this is the first time I've had to remove them. I've heard from a few people who have that issue and from those who don't. It seems to be a mixed bag.

I'm not going to berate someone for buying one or wanting one. It just doesn't get my seal of approval.

Jmann   1 week 4 days ago
  • I know it's called grateful ghost, but it feels like there's a grateful dead pun here somewhere.

Kmopotato   1 week 4 days ago
  • I agree with Jetman. The figure has problems, but it doesn't 'suck'. The torso articulation is limited which is regrettable, but is managed by the little forward back motion you demonstrated in the review and left right motion below the belt. This was tight on my copy of the figure, but once it was unstuck it added a lot of personality to the figure.

On the topic of 'surgery'. I did have to disassemble my figure's arms to get move the jacket enough to sneak in some dish soap and loosen the previously mentioned hip joint. The joint was working fine, just a little stickier than I would have liked. Unfortunately this is something that is pretty common with any engineered product. You get the bad side of a tolerance on two different components that fit together which requires some TLC.

Thirdly, on the topic of the shoulders. You are correct in that those parts that you removed are to cove the joint in wide-armed poses. This is pretty standard for Figuarts and they do tend to rattle (maybe you had an extreme case). You probably can avoid the rattling if you pushed them in. There's a sliding joint that lets the arms either sit flush with the body or have additional clearance to get wider armed poses.

gerwakun   1 week 6 days ago
  • Fire Phoenix Gun King

There's also several listings on Amazon of dinosaur/dart blasters that combine. The Chinese sure love their combining guns.

YUMpoison   1 week 6 days ago
  • I wanna make more money.

Don't we all?

VF5SS   1 week 6 days ago
  • For a figure you don't recommend, you took some good-looking pictures of it.

What the pictures above don't illustrate - maybe due to the part you said you removed? - is that you can get perfect-looking shoulder alignment, which looks fantastic. Your pictures all show shoulder gaps that I don't experience. (You can also get perfect shoulder alignment on the new Decade, which amazes me.) With that said, I haven't experienced any rattling at all. Could it be a QC thing?

I like the figure better than you do, but I'm surprised you didn't dig on the thing that bothers me most: the arms come apart MUCH too easily for my taste. On the upside, it's easy to put them back together, but I didn't *try* to disassemble the arm. It did that on its own when I was trying to execute a pretty deep pose, getting both hands reaching inside the hood to pull it back.

I agree with you on the front-back motion of the feet: I find it a frustrating limitation because it just doesn't seem necessary. I'm not bothered as much by the limited torso articulation, as he can get into just enough of a slouch to replicate his immediate post-henshin pose. (Some time into the series, they established that he slouches forward when the Ore Damashii overtakes him, after which he straightens and lowers the hood.) I can *just about* get his hand properly positioned to push back the hood.

This figure seems to me to fall into a rare category. It's not an all-out disaster like Figuarts OOO TaToBa. Instead, there are elements that are exceptionally well-executed - on par with Drive or Gaim - and some that just aren't (the feet, the hips, elements of the arms.) I don't at all regret purchasing the figure, but I also don't generally try to replicate an Iron Man pose, which would pretty much highlight all of the things you didn't like about the figure.

I'm a little more critical of the accessories in two specific categories. The first - a nitpick - is that they didn't engineer it to allow the naginata formation of the Gan Gun Saber, the way they did with Gaim's Dai Dai Maru and Musou Saber. I assume they did it to keep the handle looking right. My other criticism is that it could've used another pair of characteristic hands, although where'd they'd have fit them in the clamshell is a fair question. (Then again, I almost never pose these figures with the basic fists; those hands always seem like a waste to me.)

Where I can't agree with you is in the Ghost Change figure being preferable. I own it, and I think it's got better-working ankles, but beyond that, the Figuarts version looks and functions better.

From what I've seen, this has been a pretty divisive figure; fans are bound to have differing opinions. I can certainly agree that Ghost (a) should've been better, and (b) isn't nearly as good as Drive Type Speed.

Jetman Purple   1 week 6 days ago
  • The only good thing about ghost is the opening song. By the way, I figured out you can tuck the shoulders into the chest cavity for a bit more range, but I also put him back in the box because he's dead to me.

siningy   2 weeks 13 hours ago
  • It's a weird awkward Gokin. Not quite one thing or the other. As someone said, not really sure who the target audience is. But it is a figure that has been available a number of times on deep deep discount (I think I paid less than $30 usd from hlj last year.) at that price it is a cool and distinct display piece. Just not one that you will pick up and play with much. The transformation is complex, fiddly and annoying, to a not real satisfying payoff. The left dragon head arm looks cool at first, but gets real annoying to do anything with. And the add on gear such as the shield, sword, wings etc just give you a headache. Especially anything needing spindly special connectors. You will transform it to dragon once and only once. You will then leave it in hunter/human/robot? Form, find a moderately acceptable way to attach all of its assorted gear to it, and stand it on your Gokin shelf... In the back... Behind Leoparden and Boss Borot. It's a nice piece if you can get it dirt cheap. But by no means don't seek it out or pay full price for it.

faelon   2 weeks 19 hours ago
  • Re roboswag, amazingly no. Every item included with the robot shows up multiple times in the show, with its results or consequences well covered. The show is surprisingly "real world" grounded in unexpected ways. In spite of the pair of giant robots and the giant aliens. The characters are astonishingly real in unexpected ways. And it is one of the few Giant Robot shows to actually ask about the physics (and stupidity of) many common robot tropes. Take that drill arm for example. The scenes with it are amazing for how awkward, useless and unintentionally destructive the thing is, because it is a big honking drill arm spinning at thousands of rpm. Also noteworthy is the knot punisher and its earlier versions. The big honking pile driver weapon. It isn't a one and done super weapon or something from the finale. You watch the team develop and evolve the weapon over time. And once they find a weapon that works, they start using it, as their first go to option. None of this "ultimate attack" build up nonsense.

If you haven't seen it, it really is an often overlooked gem.

faelon   2 weeks 20 hours ago
  • Scratch that last part and make these guys two of the eight figures based on Dreamwave art, the others all being from War Within: the Fallen, Prowl, Grimlock, Skywarp, Starscream, and Thundercracker.

Optimal III   2 weeks 1 day ago
  • Tuxedo Mask

It *might* be possible, but it only slots in because he has a giant hole in his back. You could possibly remove that assembly and smush the top of the cape on the other figure.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

Also, thanks!

Jmann   2 weeks 1 day ago
  • Tuxedo Mask

Great and completely charming review. I have kept bypassing this figure. But you may have sold me on it on the basis of the extra decapitated head and hat.

You said the head works with most SHFA figures. Would the cape work with any others?

faelon   2 weeks 1 day ago
  • Zero Tester 02

I love that painted box art. That's pretty spiffy.

Heavyarms   2 weeks 3 days ago
  • Laserion

When I first heard the price of this thing I knew no way was it going to be on my list. I understand the Evolution Toys is short run collectors niche market stuff, but damn! What were they thinking? They can get away with an inflated price on Albegas largely because of that weird Voltron II nostalgia market. But how much for this thing?

faelon   2 weeks 5 days ago
  • Battle Robo (Tank)

I had this and some Transformers minibots.
    There are some small differences between yours and what I had, in Brazil: He didn't have the golden canopy, it was just a red stick. And he also had a sword and a shield. It comes in a box, and it's called Robo-Tank. No one knows he was a Gobot until he appears on the series.

Fgreb   2 weeks 6 days ago
  • I dunno, it feels like Yamato missed an opportunity to use some of that special thermochromic plastic from the Transformers Color Changers, so you could turn your white VF-19P red by dunking it in the sink for a few minutes.

Seriously, though, great review of an amazing and increasingly scarce toy.

Corduroy Bear   2 weeks 6 days ago
  • Concrete

I absolutely love the retro G1 aesthetics with these pieces from Toy World. I'm hesitant to purchase at the moment due to the QC issues, but once a 2nd production run is released with the QC issues addressed, I will be excited to purchase the entire set. This is the 3rd party set of Constructicons I've been patiently waiting for. I love the rubber tires on all the alt modes.

mrclean08   3 weeks 1 day ago