• Carry

Sucks that the gun turned out the way it did, but everything else seems pretty on point. I agree it's brazen on DX9's part to put those two pics on the back on the box, but at the same time, the fact that we recognize them immediately demonstrates their status as quintessential Rodimus moments. The Optimus pic is also fitting since Roddy's legacy is so tied to his.

I'm excited and look forward to picking this guy up, but unless I catch a great deal at TFcon, I think I'm going to pre-order Terror and secure him first.

Optimal III   57 min 37 sec ago
  • That's going to be hard to resist... although it's going to require two sets unless the Hammer Brother you buy is an orphan.

Jetman Purple   14 hours 20 min ago
  • WOW

The rare case where a new paint job makes an enormous difference to me. Yeah, the robot is less old-school heroic, but the more unified color scheme makes all the modes work so much better. I totally agree about the vehicles now looking like props from a movie. The primary colors made them look too disjointed to me. But this....beautiful.

japester   1 day 15 hours ago
  • Kinda reminds you of the "real type" alternate colour schemes they used to give robot toys back in the old days, doesn't it

Tetsuryu   1 day 15 hours ago
  • It's one of the playable VRs from Virtual On Force.

VF5SS   1 day 16 hours ago
  • Booji Boy

This throbblehead is one I might pick up, devo was a really important band in pop and post modern culture, and having one of these guys on your shelf is a great comment on 80s consumerism and a play on infantilism in itself.

Astronopolis   1 day 18 hours ago
  • Solar Aquarion

I got this one on sale recently, and I am not impressed. While it is a nice robot, it is easily at the very bottem end of my SRC collection. The weird frailty of the wing joints mixed with the strangeness of the wist joint make it an awkward piece, probe to shed parts. While it has amazing articulation and posability, none of it seems to be standing straight. The waist conflicts with those thrusters in such a way that a straight forward upright stance is impossible.

faelon   1 day 19 hours ago
  • GaoFighGar

While I haven't tried putting them on a scale, by feel I think DaiGuard has a very slight edge in weight. But damn are both awesome for metal content and solid feel. Sadly my wingtips are on there so tight that I am fearful of changing them out to the trans green parts. Is there some magic secret for getting them off without breakage?

faelon   1 day 19 hours ago
  • The robot suffers but the vehicles look great in this scheme. They look more like Japanese sci fi b-movie props more than toys

Astronopolis   1 day 19 hours ago
  • This thing hurts my brain to look at it. I see some temjin pods on the back and viper influence, is this just a mishmash of all the designs from oratorio tangram?

Astronopolis   1 day 19 hours ago
  • Quickrip

It kinda reminds me of the Matchbox Parasites, the cheap-o line of sub-formers

Kenny G   2 days 10 hours ago
  • I was seeing 15,000 before; I like this price better.

magicsp00n   2 days 10 hours ago
  • YES WAY!

That's at least one phrase the first film made popular (though I also liked "Something's afoot at the Circle K" personally).

It's interesting you guys would tackle the sequel when you did. I suppose I was hoping the first film would be reviewed first but it sounds like Jeremy and his guys will be covering that someday, though I did see this sequel on the big screen (I was almost or already 14 at the time). While I heard you guys wished you had something of Gen-X status on to talk about this, I suppose I could fill in some details here.

First of course, that type of dialogue and approach used by the guys was nothing new for it's time, rather, I feel it was an amalgamation of the sort of surfer talk/California speak that was going around at the time the first film came out, it's true Sean Penn's Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridegmont High was the progenitor for much of it's impact in entertainment from then on, I often see it as part of this evolutionary process that began possibly in the 70's and worked it's way into what we came to know during the late 80's/early 90's in the films that were out. The lingo kinda got it's start with the surfer crowd in particular, and kinds flourished alongside the "Valley Girl" speak that also developed at the time

While it's true there's quite a lot of back-and-forth between the similarities of Wayne and Garth to Bill and Ted, I'm reminded of yet another movie that came out a few years before the first Bill & Ted flick that otherwise had a duo of slacker-type students in Carl Reiner's 1987 comedy "Summer School", named Chainsaw and Dave. Though hey were part of a group of underachieving students that needed to get a passing grade for the year, the two stuck out the most for having a similar mannerism to the other guys in the way they spoke and the way they liked certain things (girls and a particular interest in Tobe Hooper's "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"). This film outta be covered some day.

Noticed someone who was a big fan of this film got to do a Q&A with some of the cast a few years back that's up on YouTube.

But yeah, getting back on topic, I suppose it's hard to pinpoint who copied who since it was pretty experimental and either party probably didn't know the other half had the same idea for two slacker figures to be some prominent as they became. Of course it took some time before Wayne's World saw a movie after it's time on SNL and Bill & Ted had already spun off several TV projects before it's sequel came out. Still, both properties have made quite a cultural impact on equal terms with what each did to become familiar icons of what we thought of as the 'totally radical' for the time.

While true some movies work well without needing to recap or remind us what happened before, the first film already did that with having the George Carlin character, Rufus, having to set up the premise of the first film with how he is tasked with trying to give our 'heroes" a little help while establishing what the world became in the future and how this boys affected it. We never actually see the future world as the sequel had, simply a closed off, metallic room where the time portal device (shaped like a phone booth) leaves and arrives through the stream of time or some nonsense. The sequel certainly expanded on this quite a bit with showing us the future world Rufus is from, let alone add in the clones who kill our heroes and send them to the other side.

It is interesting the film takes on a darker tone as oppose to the first. Sometimes you have to do that in a sequel, be thankful they didn't drag this out into a third film though! I forgot this film had that bit during the end credits with them continuing to expand their popularity and influence. The first film gives us none of that, simply wrap the film up with the guys passing their oral report, getting the medieval babes they left behind earlier, and Rufus closes out the film with stating "They DO get better." as they play horribly. There, I spoiled the first film, sue me!

A shout-out must be made to the comic book adaptation I've first read before watching this movie as penned by Evan Dorkin. After seeing the film, I felt Dorkin did a fine job fleshing out a world the movie barely scratched the surface on, not to say it wasn't equally as interesting, but he made it more enjoyable than I thought the movie could do budget-wise. There was also a follow-up comic series of 12 issues that pick up where "Bogus Journey" left off that Dorkin also worked on.

Chris@StudioToledo   2 days 12 hours ago
  • The original is a beloved childhood treasure. Box, inserts, stickers, and all. So I was eager to see the final design for this homage. Initial pics were underwhelming. The combined form is neat, as is the wing ship. But the head and leg vehicles looked like busy junk. Now that I see the crazy additional modes it starts to make sense. I'm on the fence, but intrigued. They certainly went all out on the engineering.

japester   2 days 15 hours ago
  • Here's the original toy from the 90's.

VZMK2   2 days 17 hours ago
  • Wow

I have no knowledge or attachment to this property whatsoever, and OH! MY! GOSH! that's so cool.

Jetman Purple   2 days 19 hours ago
  • I don't have anything that looks this silly in my collection, and I kinda have a soft spot for the show...purchased. AmiAmi has the best deal at the moment...

north-exit   3 days 10 hours ago
  • Hey Rob, I got Sprukits Locke from

What paints should I use? Acrylic, enamel, lacquer?

Those one-coat Testors lacquers look real nice and my Dad uses them on car bodies. Their finish is candy-shell beautiful and they have nice metallics.

I want to paint Locke, but I wan to give him completely different colors than whats in the game. I want to go with a blue/orange/white combo like you'd find on a running shoe. Make him look sporty.

Any advice?

netkid   3 days 17 hours ago
  • IG-88

The holster on the back is for the E-11 (stormtrooper) blaster. The little eyelets/loops on the holster are for the handle on the vibro-axe.

Heavyarms   3 days 21 hours ago
  • Me, seeing this cartoon as a kid: "Wow, that mecha's alternate mode sucks."

Me, seeing this toy now: "Oh hey, it's a Leopardon spoof! Now I get it!"

atom smasher   3 days 21 hours ago
  • IG-88

I was just remembering the other figures that had been released from the line.

Televex   3 days 22 hours ago
  • IG-88

There were other bounty hunters (one could argue Boushh as well) but I'm just counting those on the bridge with Vader.

JoshB   3 days 23 hours ago
  • IG-88

He was also a bounty hunter.

Televex   4 days 15 hours ago
  • Devilstar

I tried that, but they don't fit in any way around the rails or against the wings that I can tell.

Optimal III   5 days 19 hours ago
  • The previous MG Victory Gundam had two core fighters, so it appears they are just following that precedent.

VF5SS   6 days 22 hours ago