Deluxe Thunderzord Assault Team
Review by JoshB
Thanks to Eva_Unit_4A for the background information on this toy.
The Thunderzord Assault Team comes from Series 2 of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, the domestic version of the Japanese Super Sentai show, Five Star Task Force Dairanger. The original show ran from 1993-1994, while the US version ran from 1994-1995. The original Japanese toy was part of a boxed set called Dairenoh Five Star Combination DX.
|Lion Thunderzord||Unicorn Thunderzord||Griffin Thunderzord||Firebird Thunderzord|
The toy came with the following accessories:
- Lion Thunderzord
- Unicorn Thunderzord
- Griffin Thunderzord
- Firebird Thunderzord
- 5 colored mini figurines
- 5 colored power crystals
- 4 Rollers
- Tail for Firebird
- Sticker sheet
Early versions of this toy came with a shiny gold Firebird Thunderzord tail, later versions had a softer gold plastic version. Also worth noting is that the power crystals were a Bandai America addition, and were not included with the Japanese release.
Each Zord has a small area where one of the mini figures can stand.
The individual components of the Thunderzord Assault Team can combine with the Red Thunderzord to become the Thunder Megazord. The Thunder Megazord features a trident like weapon made from the Red Thunderzord's Staff and the Firebird's tail, as well as a chrome Thunder Saber that slides into a scabbard attached to its waist. The combined form is HUGE. You can open the dome on the chest of the Thunder Megazord and insert the 5 minifigs into the grooves to act as pilots. It is almost impossible to get all 5 of them in.
You can also combine the Thunderzord Assault Team with the White Tigerzord to form the Megatigerzord.
To add another layer of insanity to the mix, you can combine the Red Dragonzord, the Thunderzord Assault Team, the White Tigerzord and Tor the Shuttlezord to form the ultimate Zord, the Thunder Ultrazord.
There are several differences between the US and Japanese version of this toy.
- The stickers have been modified to tie in with the Power Rangers "Look"
- The Lion Thunderzord has significant paint differences, mostly in the green face
- The Unicorn and Griffon Thunderzords have black tabs in the back, instead of the gray used on the Original
- The tab on the back of the handle is gray on the Original, and Black on the US version.
- The mini figures on the US version are all just remolds of the Red Ranger from ZyuRanger.
- The US version came with Power Crystals, the Japanese version did not.
- The Japanese toys were packaged as part of a box set with the Red Dragonzord, and not sold separately.
Note that the toy used on the box is a mix of the Japanese and US versions.
|Posted 13 June, 2005 - 16:33 by JoshB|