Karakuri Ball Set #02 - Gattling Attacker
Review by EVA_Unit_4A
The second collectible mini-set in a line of 6 from "Hurricanger",
Set 02 contains two Karakuri weapons,
two pairs of color-coded Ball shells, and a pair of discs that
can be used by any of the three transformation device toys - Hurricane Gyro,
Gourai Changer, and Shuriken Ball (each sold separately). And, in a nice touch,
the instructions are a single sheet of color photographs instead of the typical
black-&-white drawings (all in Japanese, of course).
Karakuri Ball 05 - This
KB contains the Gattling Leo - a small, determined-looking white-&-yellow
lion with a mane of cannon barrels. It looks fragile in its animal form, but
this is due to the compactness of the design; being able to fit snugly into
ball. The Yellow Hurricane Ranger summons and controls the Gattling Leo.
Karakuri Ball 06 - This KB contains the
Squid Attacker- a blue spike with a real grouchy look in its eyes, and 6 gold-colored
thrusters at its base. Collectors may find its accordion-like shape misleading,
but it is based on the pointed nautilus shells that are used by certain
squid & crab in seas and oceans around the world. The Blue Hurricane Ranger
summons and controls the Squid Attacker.
Of the two, Gattling Leo is the more complicated to change between its storage
and animal forms:
- The weapon is ejected from its KB.
- The back legs, hidden inside the main body rotate out at the hips about
- The back half of the body rotates out 45Âº, bring the back legs around
to their normal position.
- A small yellow cover closes to protect the interior mechanism on the back
half of the body.
- The front legs pivot at the elbows & shoulders to extend to their normal
- Finally, the small light gray mouth opens, and the Gattling Leo roars & shakes
its mane, ready for action!
The Squid Attacker is a little more difficult to work, but it's still
- The weapon is ejected from its KB.
- One by one the three section of the blue spire extend to their full
- Finally, a pair of blue clips are retracted in between the gold thrusters.
The mane & head of the Gattling Leo is free spinning, and can be rotated
either directly, or by using the rubber-lined wheel located inside the body,
and the legs have limited poseability. The Squid Attacker has no features and
just sits there. But don't think it's useless just yet.
To use the Gattling Leo in its Weapon mode:
- Return it to its compacted form.
- Pull out the light gray handle from under its body.
- Rotate the DX Senpuujin's left arm up to 45Âº, and attach the
weapon to the blue bar clip behind its hand.
- Then close the hand around
the handle. The Gattling Leo weapon should be resting its small rubber wheel
against the Senpuujin's large spinning Lion mane. Now, when the mane
is spun, the weapon's 6 energy cannon barrels spin like a machine cannon!
The Gattling Leo in its Weapon mode can
be used by either the Senpuujin or the DX Gouraijin (sold separately), though
you will have to spin it manually with the Gouraijin. It could be used on the
DX Tenkujin (sold separately), but the hand can't hold it, so the best
option is to clip it to the Tenku Cutter
blade weapon on its left arm. Finally, it can be attached to the front right
leg of the giant motorized DX Mammoth Revolver (sold separately).
To use the Squid Attacker in its Weapon mode:
- Pull out the two small blue clips from between the gold thrusters.
- With its face pointed down, slip the back of it onto the Senpuujin's
right knee on top of the red dome, making sure the blue clips are fastened
to either side of the knee.
That's about it. Then the Senpuujin jumps into the air and impales its
opponent with its knee weapon. Unfortunately,
the Squid Attacker cannot be used with either the Gouraijin or Tenkujin. But
it can be used on the front right leg of the Revolver Mammoth. Then, when the
Revolver Mammoth moves, the Squid Attacker spins like a large drill.
And now, for the combination weapon- the Gattling Attacker:
- Have the Gattling Leo in its weapon mode with the handle down, and close
the mouth all the way.
- Have the Squid Attacker in its animal mode, and push the blue clips into
- Snap the 6 gold thrusters onto the 6 gray cannon barrels. The best way
to do this is to have the Gattling Leo's face right side up, and the
Squid Attacker's face pointing down, making sure to line
up the molded arrows on both toys.
The combined Gattling Attacker weapon
can be attached to either the Senpuujin or Gouraijin in the same fashion that
the Gattling Leo was.
For those of you wondering what the differences are between the Gattling Attacker
set from "Hurricanger", and its English-speaking counterpart, the
Turbine Laser (included exclusively with Deluxe Ninjakon - The Lightning Megazord)
from "Power Rangers Ninja Storm", you'll find them easily.
- There are no metal pieces to replace with plastic ones, but the quality & color
of some pieces have been changed. The Lion Laser (Gattling Leo) is all
gray as opposed to white plastic. The Squid Drill (Squid Attacker) has been
given a lighter blue plastic.
- Paint is also used less. The yellow has been removed from the Lion Laser's
body, and its claws & cannon mane are not painted silver. However its
face remains the same. The white stripes on the Squid Drill have been removed.
I must admit that, if sold separately, I would have gone with just the Gattling
Leo for it's wicked spinning cannons feature. But with the combination
of the Squid Attacker, this makes Karakuri Ball set #02 a worthwhile
addition to the Shinobu Machine line.
|Posted 7 September, 2004 - 15:20 by EVA_Unit_4A|