• NYTF07: Toynami

Wow! That blue-&-white Beta Fighter looks awesome! How tall is it in robot mode? If that Alpha Fighter is $100 (I don't like that purple-on-black livery, BTW), dare I wonder what the Beta Fighter will cost...? If it's just over $100, I think I'd go for it. (I need something to rival my blocky $110 DX DaiVoayger, hee hee hee...)

• Hey these Star Wars TFs are starting to look like Transformers!

Rob Braun   11 years 22 weeks ago
  • Well the same thing happens with other lines.

With Transformers Energon Hasbro gave us the first Open face Prime since Primal and then they shifted gears half way through and gave us a closed face Prime like the Japanese version, but thats just a head on an already scale mold. And then Cybertron we got the 'giant' Starscream who had just as much (if that) detail as its much smaller, sharper form. And like this Megazord, The gigantic version only loses some of the detail and can't get out of its own way.

I think Bandai has no choice but to just do what they can with what they've done concerning the Megazord. they made the mold, now they've got no choice but to use it, scrapping it now would only hurt them. a Recall won't work because of the ones already sold, and the whole process of changing out for the imported version would only set the series' launch back. For what we know they made the US version more kid friendly but not collector friendly. Yeah the size makes it more appealing, but it loses the detail value seen with smaller molds. During the Mystic Force line they skipped out on the Wolf Knight Megazord and instead gave us the Megazord that only got a limited release in Japan, it makes for some nice US-Exclusive, but the Completists have to import. I think Operation Overdrive is one of those times where Bandai america wants to distinguish itself from Bandai Japan by having its own molds to run with. The whole scale up idea works with Jumbos but it hurts (See Starscream).
    Now the whole figure thing has always been out of hand. I don't ever remember seeing any 'evil Ranger' toys with more than three to five points of articulation compared to all the ranger figures with more than the standard full body articulation. Now with sculpters taking a more comic book aesthetic approach, Rangers are getting rippled abs, busting biceps, and overly defined crotches. With the increase in quality, Bandai's got no choice but to rely on remolding the same bodies for every figure. Jakks Pacific has gotten by with the same process with their WWE figures even when they don't match up. Best example I know is Tazz (former ECW heavyweight, shaped like a bowling ball in real life) is molded on the exact same body used to make Vince McMahon (tall, heavy chested, broad shoulders).

Btw, Eva. You REALLY know your Sentai toys.

Bandai's been on thin Ice with me since the whole Gundam disaster (I think its safe to call it that). It hurt me, I mean hiking prices of the kits for box size, 80$ for the GP-02 locally compared to 45$ with shipping via importer. The change from 'domestic striping' to the ugly box jobs on some of the SEED kits, and need I say anything about the whole Battle Damaged MSIA line that ended it.

Rob Braun   11 years 22 weeks ago
  • Hmm... I can easily believe that it is too late to change the toys as they are- production is already in full swing by now, and I suppose to re-tool in order to give us the modified versions of the original Gougou Vehicles from "Gougou Sentai Boukenger" (2006) would put them way behind in releases, not to mention be way too expensive to implement at this late stage. I think that they should hurry and create a line for modified Gougou Vehicles, but then call them "Special Edition" or something. Remember when the DX Gingaioh was released as a special-edition version of the Deluxe Galaxy Megazord years ago as a store exclusive? They could do the same thing here!
    As we can see here, Gougou Drill, Gougou Shovel, Gougou Mixer, and Gougou Crane have already been reinvented (as we can see here, already with heavy loss of function each) to work with the Deluxe DMM as seen by that second image above. Why are they releasing it as a separate set? Why not treat the four vehicles as an accessory set which can be added on to the DMM!? That would certainly make more sense and be cheaper than including a black-and-silver Dump Driver Zord repaint!

At this rate, I'm sure they won't remake the motorized DX DaiVoyager because of size and compatibillity issues, though they may still release a remake of the DX Siren Builder. here's my question: will Gougou Jet be remade to fit the DMM? And if so, will it be able to form the DaiTanken equivalent? (I'm guessing no to the latter...)
    I'm glad to hear that they have been meeting about this rather than just letting it fizzle out; I doubt that will happen any time soon!
    Josh, did they tell you why they did this to the Deluxe megazords this year instead of modifying them like they always have before?
    Ugh- Another repaint of the same old, boring semi-trailer truck playset that will never appear in the show!? They've used that same design for four years in a row- starting in 2003 with "Power Rangers Ninja Storm"! And the only time it appeared in the show was in the last two episodes of "Power Rangers Dino Thunder"!
    That Mega Mission Helmet sounds interesting- kinda like their responce to the tiny DX Bouken Driver interactive game set that works with your TV in Japan. May not fit my cranium, but I'd like to know a little more about it.
    I think there's a very good reason that there's a difference in the choices of the two markets, mecha VS. figures- BA doesn't give us a choice in what we get!
    While I like that BA is acknowledging long-time fans and collectors with the 15 Red Rangers, couldn't they at least customize each one's mold instead of just changing paint apps? It's very obvious, but seeing as I won't be getting them, I suppose I have little room to comment let alone complain, huh?

• Easy solution then...release Jumbo Megazords in Japan! Hell, I'll pay the shipping if I have to, if it means I'll get some more jumbo ROBOTS. And who knows? Maybe they would even be received better in Japan than they were here.

Nekrodave   11 years 22 weeks ago
  • Gunbuster

I know, I noticed it after i shot the whole thing that the thrusters were wrong and I didnt have the little fins on the shoulders spread out... sigh... what can you do?

• Gunbuster

This toy is my single most expensive purchase and I love it. I was able to pre-order very early and get a decent discount, but having played with it I can definitely say that its worth every penny and I would have paid full price.

It truly shows us the best of what the designers at Bandai are capable of. Some people may complain that its not perfect transformation, but who cares. Id much rather have a few removable parts, that results in a better looking final product.

And speaking of removable panels, the top panel on BM#2 is also removable, to cut down on the back kibble a little bit, and Josh, spin those thrusters around on Gunbusters back, (so the yellow band faces up), you've got em upside down. :P

Anavel   11 years 23 weeks ago
  • Gunbuster

Totally agree about the bottom panel on the Buster Machine 1. That thing drove me nuts when I was trying to put it on. Also, I had some trouble getting the fists stored in the back of the tower. There wasn't enough room to get my fingers in there as I was holding them. Some of the parts of the tower tended to pop off as I fiddled with it as well. Having said that, I love the display base. This is the first SOC I display in vehicle mode.

I didn't think I'd like this one, but it ended up getting my vote for toy of the year. A few minor flaws, but it just has too much else going for it.

Nekrodave   11 years 23 weeks ago
  • Iron Hammer

True to my word, first chance I got, I got me an Iron Hammer. This thing is truely awesome for the price...! The limited ball-&-socket joints in the hips and ankles weren't as bad as I thought they were at first. They're limited swinging outwards, but work good enough forward-&-backwards.
    In fact, my biggest complaints would be how tricky it was to put those vent decals on the 'calves' of the lower legs. The shoulder joints, especially on the grabing and missile-launcher arms, are really difficult to snap on and off! Sheesh!
    (I also left Snake Eyes in the box. Hee hee hee...)
    What surprised me most was how much smaller the "Sigma 6" figures are compared to the earlier American counterparts. That probably allowed for the more versatile sets. I recal how it was just blocky vehicles with pop-out weapons and simple single-round missile launchers originally, but now we have fully interactive vehicles like the Iron Hammer where you can swap the different weapons.
    Next step: the Dragonhawk!

• Golion

Funny story about the Matchbox version of this. My friend had one and just like you, we noticed that the fists looked like they were supposed to shoot out. My friend agreed and thought the fists might be "stuck". So I suggested we take a flat-head screwdriver and attempt to pop them off. With a little more pressure than we expected the fists indeed popped out after breaking them off their plastic posts inside(ouch). The only problem was, since they were not spring loaded there was nothing to hold the fists in now, so they fell out all the time. doh!

Hey, what do you want, I was only 10 years old at the time!

iron maniac   11 years 24 weeks ago
  • Well I lucked out I did get to go once just after we moved out here. I had seen all the comercials during the showings of Robotech on tv. It was my birthday so Mr. Big end up giving my parents a good deal on two Valkyries. Aparently he closed the store only a few months after we where in there.

Atom (not verified)   11 years 25 weeks ago
  • Iron Hammer

Nice-! You're right- it is like a scaled-down Destroid from "Macross", or a light-class [20-35 ton] BattleMech from the BattleTech RPG/video game saga.
    I like the various spring-loaded features- in particular how different they are from each other. (I just love toy rapid-fire missile launchers!) I don't think it'll bother me too much if the knees don't pose, so long as the hips and ankles can sufficiently snap to different angles.
    The "Sigma 6" Dragonhawk V-TOL aircraft reviewed earlier on CDX was jaw-dropping, but this is awesome too! And I like how the aircraft can carry and drop the Iron Hammer right into the battlefield, as opposed to just strapping a pair of "rocket" or turbofan engines to the back of it.
    And all this for $9.99!? I am so gonna get one my next trip to a TRU, and it'll fit into the little spot left on my shelves too!
    Didn't make 'em like this when I was a kid, either... (Am I old enough to start saying that now???)

• Zartan

Sadly, no solar powered color change either. :)

Atom (not verified)   11 years 25 weeks ago
  • Zartan

He doesn't change color in sunlight either?? Or did I miss that part?

iron maniac   11 years 25 weeks ago
  • Kittyfire (Orange)

In addition to the official releases listed above, Paul Kaiju did 5 more custom paint schemes. Iirc, they were unveiled at the S7 store and sold on the website. A Google Image search for "Paul Kaiju" will bring up pictures of them. The skull faced one is best!

Nekrodave   11 years 25 weeks ago
  • Zartan

The accesories where a wee bit underwhelming for an ADULT collector, I am sure the younger fans will like them just fine. The figure itself still looks rather sharp. As far as not including the original accesories, Sigma 6 is a new incarnation of the G.I. Joe line and in it Zartan does not have the same function and skillset that he had in his first apperance of the series.

Atom (not verified)   11 years 25 weeks ago
  • Not only have i preordered one, but I preordered 2 more as surprise gifts for fellow toy zealots.

GP_Rice_Burner   11 years 25 weeks ago
  • Zartan

The fact that this Zartan figure doesn't come with any disguise masks and all of his accessories look fugly make this figure uniquely unattractive to the Joe fan. Yet another G.I.Joe figure released with thoughtless accessories.

GP_Rice_Burner   11 years 25 weeks ago
  • The only improvements I found were- 1) it could grip the Power Sword better, 2) the larger size, and 3) the hips and knees had a better range of poesability but the joints weren't as tight scaled-up as they were on the DX DaiBouken.
    Again, I am still mystified as to why BA did this at all! Did they even try to convert the DaiBouken early on, or did they just decide to do something completely different for the 15th-year anniversary series?
    I recall in an e-mail I got from JoshB shortly after ToyFair '06 that BA had hired someone new to lead their "PR" toy department, and they were planning some cool new stuff for '07. From what I've seen, it's just the same old figures, weapons, vehicles, playsets, and repaints which never actually appear or are mentioned in the show(s). (Should I even mention that only about 1/12th of the original "Boukenger" toys- specifically the Bouken Cell Phone Accellular- have come over so far, and have already been rebuilt...?) I mean, I talk to kids in the aisles at TRU, Target, KayBee, etc., and they also say that they don't like all that stuff either and are getting tired of it. I betcha that if BA focused more on the mecha, weapons, morphers, and used the originals of all, they might get better appreciation from [former] fans like myself? I am not saying that this should be a collector's only series (though it would be nice if they at least acknowledged the older fans & collectors!), but I think they need to pay better attention to the kids out there today. Just because a motorcycle sells well one year doesn't mean that you can just repaint it for the next, add a different figure to it, and people will be satisfied.
    I have an idea or two that I would like to share with Bandai America (though I won't do it here) for a couple of toys just for the "PROO" series, and I hope that they really listen to the other long-time fans. They, too, are a huge contributing factor. Super Sentai continues to be popular on a generational level, and "PR" could be the same if they worked at it. There are people over there who have kids of their own who still collect these toys because they satisfy both demographs! Would it have even celebrated its 30th Anniversary last year if it hadn't done that???
    (I got a couple ideas for the show itself, too, if I could share them!)

• Well, Thanks. First and foremost, I saw this thing when it was in 'preview' mode on Wal Mart's shelves and thought it looked different from the Import version. its like Cybertron Starscream only shorter and with more articulation for a scale-up mod job.

Rob Braun   11 years 25 weeks ago
  • "Not that bad", he says... -_-;
    It sucks, plain and simple! If you like Jumbo Megazords with a little more articulation, this is for you. Got kids who still chew on things? This is for you. Otherwise, stay the hell away from it!
    BA lost a long-time customer when they did this. With rare exception will I buy any "PR"-related products ever again; I can go Super Sentai all the way now because I know better.

• I also had some time to handle this toy before It was sent out for review. While I agree with most of your points, I think you are coming off too strong. Is the toy as good as it's Japanese cousin? Absolutely not. Is it good compared to prevoius Bandai America Megazord releases? No. The paint is poor, the plastic is thin and the toy is very... simple. Collectors will hate this toy, and will probably stay away from it. But I think you have to understand that Collectors are not the target market for this toy. KIDS are. Will kids like it? Probably. I think the level of popularity of power rangers is waning due to the show being banished to an obscure digital cable channel might have something to do with the lukewarm reception you received.

Perhaps Bandai is aiming at a lower demographic, and thought the original was too complicated? Perhaps the original was too small to pass US safety standards (some of the small vehicles look choke worthy). We just don't know.

I'm pretty sure my 4 year old will like this toy, and he really won't care about how it compares to the japanese version, etc.. My concern as a parent is that the plastic seems cheap and brittle, and may be prone to shattering if dropped onto a hard surface.

So my opinion as someone not as invested in Power Rangers and Sentai - the DriveMax Megazord is bad for collectors, OK for kids.

• Eh, though I don't think the Nerf-coloring on Megs is all that cool, I do like the Classics design enough to get him.
    How to get it across the Pacific without capping? Simple. Box him already in robot mode with a book-like cover over the box window. That way, even though the toy assumes the form of a realistic looking gun, they can't say they're importing one wihtout the orange cap. The box art could also be modified so that the gun mode has caps on it even though the toy doesn't have them; call the box art a prototype image, it's done all the time!
    Weren't the MP-01 and -04 Convoys shipped in robot mode? I know MP-03 wasn't, but Starscream had the window box.
    Quick question: is there an MP repaint of Convoy as Ultra Magnus, or is he getting a new design all to himself later as a new MP?

• This is a the best looking design of the original Megatron and is very faithful to the original Megatron and even the Walther P38 Microchange Gun Robo. Looks way better than the Classics Megatron(yes it's a "gun" but it's not even a Walther P38, it's a Nerf blaster) WHICH is still not that faithful to the original Megs IMHO(except the head). Overall looks great, cool, and realistic. Now how to get it wihtout orange capping it...

chogov9   11 years 25 weeks ago
  • Now if it only has the weight to balance out the look and make it feel like a diecast Megatron/Hand gun/Toy.

Nicely done.