I allow certain people to publish their own reviews, solely based on if I trust them or not. Trust is gained by being a personal friend, or past contributions to CollectionDX. If you want to publish your own material on CollectionDX, and you don't meet the above criteria, you can contact me about doing a few reviews first. ANYONE CAN SUBMIT A REVIEW, but not everyone can publish it themselves. Please contact us to inquire about doing a review.
General Review Guidelines
A CollectionDX review consists of 3 parts - Images, text and stats.
- Images are a crucial part of a review. Images should be clear and clean. Please see the Image FAQ for tips on shooting, and what we like and don't like. Generally, we like to see an image of each of the toys' modes or features, the packaging, and close ups of the face or other important areas.
- The text is your write up of the toy. We prefer the reviews to be 500 words or more, but we are not picky. Good grammar is a must. Use the AP style guide if you have a concern about what style to write it. Try to have an opinion, but don't be overly negative. Tell the good and bad about each toy. Who would buy it and why?
- Stats - Each review has certain set fields that should be filled in if all possible. Most of this information is available on the manufacturers web sites, or on e-commerce sites. For vintage toys, google is your friend.
Submitting your review.
Trusted Reviewers have permissions to add and edit content in both the gallery and the reviews.
Step 1 - Adding your images.
Log in to CollectionDX and go to Gallery > Toys. Find the manufacturer for the toy. You need to create an album for the toy you are reviewing, If there is no manufacturer for that toy listed, you must create one.Once that is done, create an album for the toy line (if applicable) and then an album for the toy itself.
- Create an album by selecting "Add album" from the left hand navigation. Please fill in all the fields as best as possible.
- Name - The name of this album on the server. It must be unique in this album. Only use alphanumeric characters, underscores or dashes. You will be able to rename it later.
- Title - This is the album title. Please stick to proper names (example "Mazinger" instead of "A review of Mazinger"). Capitalize.
- Summary - This is the text that shows below the thumbnail of your album. Consider it a subtitle.
- Keywords - Keywords are not visible, but are searchable. Use this for common misspellings, or related terms.
- Description - This is the long description of the album. Once you are in the album, this is displayed at the top of the page. Use this space for additional information if required.
- Add your images - Once your album is created, select "Add Items" from the left hand navigation.
- click Browse to select images from your computer. If you have large images, only do a few at a time.
- select "more" at the bottom for additional windows.
- the Caption field is for the image descriptions. You don't have to fill these out now, but you can if you like.
- "Set item titles from:" Select caption if the caption fields contain the image names. You will edit this later, so you probably will leave this alone.
- Thumbnail - leave this alone
- Watermark - select logo_sm.jpg from the drop down to add a CollectionDX watermark to each image. This discourages theft.
- click Add Items to upload your images. This may take a while if you have large images, or if you have a lot of images. Try resizing them in a photo editor before uploading them.
- Add Metadata - Browse to your album and then:
- Select Edit Captions from the left menu
- Title - This is the Image title. Please stick to proper names (example "Mazinger" instead of "A review of Mazinger"). Capitalize.
- Summary - This is the text that shows below the thumbnail of your image. Consider it a subtitle.
- Keywords - Keywords are not visible, but are searchable. Use this for common misspellings, or related terms.
- Description - This is the long description of the image. Looking at the full size image, this is displayed at the top of the page. Use this space for additional information if required.
- Leave this window open and open and create a new window or tab in your browser.
Step 2 - Create the review
In this process we will be creating the actual review. Before you get to this part, please have your review written and your images uploaded to the gallery. You should have two browser windows or tabs open for this process. I wish it were easier, but it isn't.
- On the left hand menu, under your username, select Create Content, then Review.
- Authored by: - shows your name. do not edit this
- Authored on: - this is the date that the review will show as being published. You can change this date if you want to post at a later date. Keep in mind, changing this date still will post when you click submit at the bottom. All this does is change the date stamp.
- Options - Most of these you can leave alone, but I will explain them anyway.
- Published - Leave this box unchecked until you are ready to publish it. Selecting "Publish" at the bottom puts the review into our system, but it is not "live" until this box is cheked.
- In moderation queue - If you were to require moderation, check this. Ignore it for now.
- Promoted to front page - Leave this checked to push the review out to the front page of CollectionDX.
- Sticky at top of lists - This is a special box that stays at the top of the index page, or any category page it is a part of. DO NOT CHECK THIS BOX.
- Create new revision - ignore this.
- Title - This is the title of the review. The toy line is automatically added in front of this title, so do not add it. (example: "Mazinger Z" and not "Soul of Chogokin Mazinger Z"
- Category: - The category is the general group that the toy belongs to. You can select more than one category by holding the Ctrl key and clicking on the terms you want to include.
- Manufacturer: - This is who made the toy. Some toys have more than one manufacturer, in the case of Zoids, Hasbro is putting out a Tomy product. In this case, you would select both by holding the Ctrl key and clicking on the terms you want to include. If the manufacturer you want is not listed, just choose <none> and we will add it later.
- Materials: - What is this toy made out of? Modern Japanese toys have this printed on the box. Older toys, just select all that apply in significant amounts. Screws do not count as metal, FYI.
- Release Date: - Choose the year of release. If unsure, leave blank.
- Series: - What Show or Series does this toy come from? (NOT TOY LINE). For example, Getter Poseidon comes from Getter Robo G. Not all toys have shows, so leave blank if it does not apply. If the show you want is not in the list, we can add it after we finish the review.
- Toy Line: - What toy line is this a part of? Soul of Chogokin is a toy line, Mazinger is not. If the toy line is not in the list, we can add it after we finish the review.
- Toy Name: - This is the proper name of the toy. For example, if you are reviewing the Deluxe Zeo Megazord, the Toy name would be Zeo Megazord.
- Toy Line: - Some toys, like the Soul of Chogokin line, have a number identifying them given by the manufacturer. Add it here if applicable.
- Scale: - If the toy has a scale on the box, add it here. Don't guess or calculate scale. Use the format like 1:144
- Designer: - Who designed this toy? We prefer the actual sculptor over the character designer, but whatever you have is fine.
- Currency: - select either $ or ¥ based on where the toy was originally sold.
- Original Price: - If you know the original retail price, enter it here, without the $ or ¥ sign. If you are using yen, use commas (example 1,000)
- Summary: - This is the blurb that shows up on the front page of CollectionDX. You can take text from your review, or write something new. The idea of this is to interest the reader enough to read the full review. You can write plain text in this box, but if you want to past HTML, please select FULL HTML
- Content: - This is where you paste the body of your review. You can write plain text in this box, but if you want to paste HTML, please select FULL HTML. You can add images to the body of your review using a special link at the bottom of the window. Please see the adding images section for more information about how to use it. Some basic HTML to add links and emphasis:
- To add a bold effect, put <b> before the word and </b> after it
- To add Italics, pit <i> before the word and </i> after it
- To use large Headings, put <h1> before the word or sentence and </h1> after it.
- Links are tricker. You need to wrap the link in an html tag. To do this, first copy the URL you want to link to. Before the word or sentence you want to link, put this code, replacing XXXXX with the URL you just copied.
Then the text you want linked
Then close the tag with </a>
The final link will look like this: <a href="XXXXX">Link Title</a>
- eBay Link: - ignore
- eBay Referral Code: - If you have affiliate accounts with Amazon, Play Asia or other stores, you can earn some money with your reviews. Log in to the appropriate stores' affiliate program and generate your ad code. Paste it here to display your ad on this review.
Step 3 - Add your images to the review
This is where you need two windows or tabs open. You need to use Mozilla or Firefox to do this. We are working for a solution in IE to do this. In one window, you you have your create review page. In the other, you need your album open of the toy you are reviewing. On the page where you are creating your review, there are fields for each image. You need to enter an image number in each of these fields. This number can be found by holding your mouse over the thumbnail of the image you want to display. After a short delay, a small pop up box will appear with a string of text in it. The number at the end of the string is the number you need to use represent that image:
The red box shows what the image number is
- Lead Image: - This image is the large image shown at the top of the review.
- Teaser Image: - This is the thumbnail shown next to the summary on the home page that links to this review. Often it is the same as the lead image.
- Image 1-10 - These images show beneath the review.
- Album link: - Paste the web address of the location of your gallery here. (Example: http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery/Toys/Bandai/SOC/GX-30/ or just /gallery/Toys/Bandai/SOC/GX-30/)
Step 4 - Publish
Hit the Submit button to see how it looks. Select the Edit tab at top to make any changes. Once you are happy with your review, and everything has been spell-checked and tested, check the Published checkbox at the top of your review, and then press the Submit button at bottom.
Adding missing categories
Select "Categories" from the left menu to add Manufacturer, Series, or Toy Line if they are missing. Next to the appropriate section, select "Add term". Then go back to your review and the terms you added are now in the drop-down lists. Select the proper terms, and publish.